The all new 2022 VW Atlas interior is something VW has obviously spent a lot of time on to ensure it comes out on top against all competitors in this segment. With plenty of space for your whole family and all the interior luxuries you’ll ever need. In this in-depth review, we’ll take a closer look at all the features that make the Atlas’s cabin so special.
The 2022 VW Atlas interior has the largest interior in its class, combining family-friendly functionality with hi-tech safety and infotainment features. With three rows of seats and six trim options, the VW Atlas is comfortable and versatile, boasting a maximum cargo area of 96.8 cubic feet.
If you’re looking to buy a new midsize SUV with more interior space than your current wagon, you should give the 2022 VW Atlas a close look. Boasting more seating space and cargo volume than any of its class competitors, the 2022 VW Atlas interior is rich with in-car tech, versatile seating configurations, and robust finishes, making it a safe, practical, and classy workhorse for families on the move.
How Many Interior Options Does The 2022 VW Atlas Have?
The 2022 VW Atlas interior is available with six trim options based on the six model variants in the range. Heated front seats, climate control, a digital cockpit, and a touchscreen infotainment system are standard across the range, as are LATCH safety points for three child seats.
As its exterior lines suggest, it’s a boxy SUV, and its interior is cavernous – ideal for family hauling.
Before diving into the specifics of each model variant in the 2022 VW Atlas range, let’s get a handle on the interior dimensions.
The dimensions in the 2022 VW Atlas interior is best-in-class:
- A total passenger volume of 154 cubic feet
- Front headroom = 41,3 inches
- Front legroom = 41,7 inches
- Front shoulder room = 61,5 inches
- Front hip room = 58,2 inches
- Second row headroom = 40,4 inches
- Second row legroom = 37,6 inches
- Second row shoulder room = 60,8 inches
- Second row hip room = 58,0 inches
- Third row headroom = 38,3 inches
- Third row legroom = 33,7 inches
- Third row shoulder room = 54,9 inches
- Third row hip room = 45,1 inches
The upshot on the 2022 VW Atlas interior seating arrangement is that a person over six feet tall can comfortably sit in the second row, and six feet tall or less can sit in the third row without propping up their knees on the seat in front of them.
The headroom allows ample space between a six-foot-plus passenger and the ceiling in the first and second rows, while the third row of seats has the ceiling slope downward towards the rear but can still accommodate a six-foot passenger sitting in the upright position.
All models in the 2022 Atlas range are equipped to seat seven adults in the three-row seating configuration comfortably.
The third row can accommodate three children, raising the people-carrying capacity to eight.
The fold-flat rear seats maximize cargo space:
- 96,8 cubic feet – with both rear rows folded flat
- 55,5 cubic feet – with the third row of seats down
- 20,6 cubic feet – behind the third row of seats
The 2002 VW Atlas range includes the following models with specific interior features:
- The Atlas SE (MSRP $36,995)
- The Atlas SE With Technology (MSRP $41,015)
- The Atlas SEL (MSRP $46,615)
- The Atlas SEL R-Line (MSRP $48,015)
- The Atlas SEL R-Line Black (MSRP $48,565)
- The Atlas Premium R-Line (MSRP $52,265)
Let’s scope the Key Interior Features across the 2022 VW Atlas range and see which models get what:
- Powered Driver’s Seat with lumbar support: All models
- Powered Passenger Seat: SE With Technology, SEL, SEL R-Line, SEL R-Line Black, SEL Premium R-Line
- Heated Driver’s Seat: All models
- Heated Passenger Seat: All models
- Ventilated Seats: SEL Premium R-Line
- Heated Steering Wheel: SEL, SEL R-Line, SEL R-Line Black, SEL Premium R-Line
- Leatherette Seats: All models exceptSEL Premium R-Line
- Leather Seats: SEL Premium R-Line
- Captain’s Chairs: SE With Technology, SEL, SEL R-Line, SEL R-Line Black, SEL Premium R-Line
- Panoramic Sunroof: SE With Technology, SEL, SEL R-Line, SEL R-Line Black, SEL Premium R-Line
- Multiple USB Charging Ports: SE With Technology, SEL, SEL R-Line, SEL R-Line Black, SEL Premium R-Line
- Multiple 12V Outlets: All models
- 120V Outlet: SE With Technology, SEL, SEL R-Line, SEL R-Line Black, SEL Premium R-Line
- Wireless Charging Pad: SE With Technology, SEL, SEL R-Line, SEL R-Line Black, SEL Premium R-Line
- Three-zone Climate Control: All models
- Cup Holders For All Seats: All models
- Digital Cockpit: All models
- Touchscreen Infotainment Console: All models
- Three-row Map Reading Lighting: All models
- Ambient LED Lighting: SEL Premium R-Line
- Six-Speaker Audio System: SE,SE With Technology, SEL, SEL R-Line, SEL R-Line Black
- Fender Premium Audio System: SEL Premium R-Line
And the list goes on. But we’ll move to the features that help make the 2022 VW Atlas a worthy family wagon, bus, or limo – you decide.
Why Is The VW Atlas Interior Great?
The 2022 VW Atlas interior is designed with optimum driver and passenger safety, comfort, and entertainment in mind. Active safety technologies, expansive seating, premium audio, seven USB charging ports, a Wi-Fi hotspot, and Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, provide premium people-carrier functionality.
The 2022 VW Atlas is a vehicle you will want to take on a family road trip. There’s enough space and tech in the Atlas to keep everyone at arm’s length and connected to their favorite apps.
The driver has a digital cockpit with navigation assistance. A heated steering wheel with integrated control switches adds to the ‘pilot’ kudos.
A voice-activated touchscreen infotainment console is a hub for streaming audio and wireless connectivity for handheld devices.
- The Fender Premium Audio System pumps out 480-watts from a 12-channel amplifier that replicates the sort of sound you’d hear at a stadium concert. The system boasts twelve speakers (including a subwoofer in the rear).
The panoramic sunroof extends back to the third row, giving the whole family a view of the sky and ample natural light to read their screens (or books, perhaps?).
- COMFORT – All the seats can recline, and the passenger windows have manually operated sunshades.
- SAFETY – A rearview camera is standard for all models as are blind-spot monitoring, cross-traffic alert, and forward-collision warning systems.
For families needing a child seat or two, the second row of the 2002 VW Atlas interior has LATCH safety anchors and can slide and tilt forward with the child seat in place, allowing kids in the third-row hassle-free entry and exit.
For a family of four adults, the captain’s chairs option for the second-row transforms the Atlas into a small jet airliner. Drop down the third-row seats, and the Atlas’ cargo-carrying credentials come to the fore, with an impressive 55,5 cubic feet of load space behind the captain’s chairs (‘pass me a soda from the cooler, honey’).
The 2022 VW Atlas Interior Color Choices?
The leatherette and pure leather upholstery in the 2022 VW Atlas interior are available in Shetland Beige, Titan Black, and Mauro Brown. The white stitching on two-tone accents on the seats and door panels adds a sophisticated but earthy appeal to the overall aesthetic of the Atlas’ interior finish.
The use of robust plastic with simulated steel paneling on the dashboard and console of the VW Atlas interior may not be as forgiving as more premium cladding, but it does stand up to the rigors of traveling with young children. And, it’s easy to clean!
Optional extras like grey carpeting, black rubber mats, cargo nets, and black privacy covers, bolster the overall utilitarian ethos of the Atlas, giving it the look of a chauffeur-driven sedan fit for a VIP.
Our Verdict on the VW Atlas Interior
The 2022 VW Atlas interior has taken a fair amount of criticism from automotive pundits for its lack of luxurious interior finishes and sedate drivetrain performance. Still, its interior volume has them all agreeing on the efficacy of the 2022 Atlas as a versatile family car.
With six model variants and tons of optional extras to choose from, the odds are pretty good you’re going to find your ideal new family SUV in the 2022 VW Atlas range. Go on – book a test drive! If you want to up the budget and experience a truly premium interior, check out what Maserati has on offer.