Cadillac is a brand that has been around for a long time, and many people know it for its luxury cars. However, in recent years Cadillac has been trying to break into the small-luxury SUV market, and this has caused some confusion among buyers.
There are so many different choices in the small-luxury SUV market that it can be hard to decide which one is right for you. Each of the brands competing in this space has its own unique selling points.
The 2021 Cadillac XT4 offers buyers an SUV with modern, tech-infused tastes. The large and spacious cabin is great for family trips or quick business excursions while still being able to keep up in traffic.
But if there’s one thing we know about today’s buyer, it would be those who want more than just performance, they also look forward towards practicality too.
The Cadillac XT4 creates an excellent first impression with its striking appearance and sophisticated interior. The inside is roomy and comfy, and the multimedia system is outstanding. However, a closer examination exposes cost-cutting methods and subpar performance.
The changes for 2021 are minimal, with select trim levels receiving additional amenities. In general, the 2021 Cadillac XT4 is the exact vehicle that Cadillac released in 2019. Here is what we observed during our in-depth investigation of the XT4.
2021 Cadillac XT4 Review
The smallest SUV in General Motors luxury division range is the 2021 Cadillac XT4, ranking below the XT5 and XT6 SUVs in terms of size. The changes for 2021 are limited, with new features on select trims in specific configurations. In general, it’s the exact basic vehicle that Cadillac introduced earlier this year.
In our tests, the XT4 had enough power and could perform short passing maneuvers, but it was slow off the line (0-60 mph in 7.6 seconds) and was hot under the collar when going faster than 50 mph. The XT4’s sports ambitions are further hampered by a notable lack of steering feel and a transmission that is frequently reluctant to respond.
Other characteristics, like braking and handling, are merely satisfactory. The levels of noise, ride and steering all need to be improved to meet the standards of the class.
The XT4 maintains its composure and is almost always in the proper gear with a light foot. However, more aggressive driving, such as not downshifting or downshifting too many gears simultaneously, can cause the transmission to malfunction. A bustling, frequently simplistic ride, combined with a shockingly raucous engine, makes the XT4 Cadillac’s least impressive offering.
Continual jitter from all four wheels occurs on poor roads, and a never-ending barrage of hits occurs on potholes and other pothole-like surfaces. Compared to other high-end luxury SUVs, this is a disappointment. Fortunately, the chairs are supportive and comfy for a wide range of body types, with ample lower lumbar support to boot.
Optional heated and ventilated front seats help keep the cabin at a constant temperature by moving air about the space. (Heating is also available for the rear seats.) The XT4’s engine, on the other hand, is loud and unrefined, and when combined with considerable road noise at highway speeds, it does not appear to be up to Cadillac’s usual high standards.
2021 Cadillac XT4 Interior
The XT4 creates a powerful first impression with a beautiful and modern interior that complements the exterior. However, several of the controls appear to be superfluous or overthought, making it difficult to utilize them without making mistakes or becoming frustrated.
The controls on the dash are straightforward, but the buttons on the steering wheel and the multimedia knob are challenging to use. Because of the large front door openings, getting into and out of the XT4 is a breeze. Although the rear door apertures aren’t as large as the front ones, there’s still plenty of legroom in the back.
Although headroom in the rear seat is limited, primarily when the optional panoramic sunroof is used, there is still sufficient space for two adults to sit comfortably in the back seat. A spacious and airy feeling pervades the front of the cabin, and it’s simple to locate a comfortable driving position with superb visibility.
The infotainment system in the XT4 is swift, crisp, and simple to operate. While the integrated navigation system is reminiscent of Android Auto, this is a positive development, and the optional Bose audio system is stunning even when played at maximum level.
For syncing with your smartphone, USB and USB-C connectors come standard, as well as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto support. Additionally, if you prefer to be cable-free, there is a wireless charging pad and new wireless features for CarPlay and Android Auto.
But Cadillac has chosen to package electronic driving aids like those into option packages that aren’t available on the lowest trim level rather than making them standard equipment. Unfortunately, that isn’t very reassuring for a vehicle of this kind.
2021 Cadillac XT4 Specs
The 2021 XT4 comes in three different variants: Luxury, Premium Luxury, and Sport.
2021 Cadillac XT4 Luxury Variant
The standard Luxury trim offers a good set of features. The following are some of the features:
- 18-inch rims
- Headlights with LEDs
- Push-button start and keyless entry
- Start from a distance
- Automatic climate control in two zones
- Liftgate with power
- Front seats with power adjustments
- Upholstery made to look like leather
The luxury package also includes:
- LTE 4G Wireless hotspot Wi-Fi Smartphone connectivity with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Touchscreen display of 8 inches
- Automatic emergency braking (warns you if a frontal collision is approaching and applies the brakes if you don’t react quickly enough)
Among the possibilities are:
- Package for Cold Weather
- Heated steering wheel
- Heated front and rear seats
- Package for Driver Education
- Indicator of following distance
- With lane-departure warning and lane-keeping assistance
- Sunroof with upgraded Bose audio system
2021 Cadillac XT4 High-End Luxury Variant
The Premium Luxury model adds the following to the Luxury trim:
- The driver’s seat has memory settings.
- Monitor for blind spots (alerts you if a vehicle in the next lane over is in your blind spot)
- Rear cross-traffic warning (warns you if a car in front of you is likely to cross your path while in reverse)
- Liftgate that doesn’t require your hands
- Windshield wipers that detect rain
Optional features include those found on the Luxury trim, as well as:
- The Driver Assistance package necessitates the purchase of the Driver Awareness package.
- Adjustable speed limiter with cruise control (adjusts speed to maintain a constant distance between the XT4 and the car in front)
- Emergency braking in reverse (brakes if sensors detect an imminent collision with an object behind the vehicle)
- Package of Comfort and Convenience
- Front chairs with massage and ventilation
- bundle of technology
- Ionizer for the air (helps filter air in the cabin)
- Power-adjustable steering wheel with a head-up display
- Charging your phone wirelessly
- Technology and Comfort Package that is preferred
- A single option that includes all of those bundles’ features
- Package for Improved Visibility
- Pedestrian warning in the rear
- Rearview mirror with digital display (allows you to see out the back even with a fully loaded cargo area)
- Camera with a 360-degree view (gives you a top-down view of the XT4 and its surroundings for tight parking situations)
- Parking assistance is provided automatically (steers into a parking spot with no driver intervention)
2021 Cadillac XT4 Sport Variant
The XT4’s Sport trim level is just a cosmetic package. In terms of features and options, it closely resembles the Premium Luxury trim. The following changes have been made:
- Seats with bolsters that can be adjusted
- Steering wheel for sport
- Exterior trim and highlights in body color, including the grille, mirrors, and door handles
- Brake calipers in red
Among the possibilities are:
- Sport suspension with adjustable dampers on 20-inch wheels
2021 Cadillac XT4 Problems
Only a few issues have been brought attention; however, the most often voiced complaints relate to excessive engine and road noise. Although, to be fair the road noise issue could just be related to the type of tyres that the car comes with and can easily be fixed by upgrading it to a better set. The 2021 Cadillac XT4 hasn’t been around for long enough to comment on anything significant as it will take a few years for the more major issues to start showing up, if there are any at all.
2021 Cadillac XT4 Price
The lowest to the highest MSRP listed for the 2021 Cadillac XT4 we will focus on the three available variants that are offered in 2021, these include the following:
- Luxury – $35,795
- Premium Luxury – $39,795
- Sport – $39,995
2021 Cadillac XT4 Final Verdict
Although the 2021 Cadillac XT4 sports good styling, fair driving comfort, and ample interior space, countless users felt that many of the optional extra’s features should come as standard. The 2021 Cadillac XT4 could definitely improve in the suspension and handling department, and some of the driver controls where there seems to be a bit over cluttered where things could be much more simplified.
For the money the 2021 Cadillac XT4 is definitely worth checking out, especially since you now know all about its features and quirks. We hope to see more refined versions of the 2021 Cadillac XT4 in future iterations of the XT4 and look forward to seeing if Cadillac engages and listens to its customers.